On August 7, 2020, the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) announced the appointment of three appellate immigration judges to the Board of Immigration Appeals [PDF version
]. Each of the three new appellate immigration judges was appointed by Attorney General William P. Barr. The appointments are significant in that the BIA is the highest administrative review body [link
] for interpreting and applying the immigration laws. In this post, we will examine the resumes of the three new members of the BIA.
Michael P. Baird, Appellate Immigration Judge
- 2009-2020: Immigration judge on the Dallas Immigration Court (Texas) and later the Atlanta Immigration Court (Georgia).
- 2006-2009: Senior assistant district attorney in the Appalachian Judicial Circuit, in Georgia.
- 2004-2006: Judge in the Municipal Court of Jonesboro, Georgia.
- 1997-2004: Chief Judge for the Magistrate Court of Clayton County, Georgia.
- 1995-96; 92-93: Private Practice.
- 1993-1995: Senior assistant solicitor general at the Clayton County Solicitor's Office.
- 1986-1990: Police officer.
- Obtained Juris Doctorate in 1992 from Georgia State University College of Law.
Sunita B. Mahtabfar, Appellate Immigration Judge
- 2013-2020: Immigration Judge on the El Paso Immigration Court (Texas).
- 2006-2013: Attorney in the Office of the Assistant Chief Counsel, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security, in El Paso, Texas.
- 2003-2006: Asylum officer in the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security.
- Obtained Juris Doctorate from Thurgood Marshall School of Law.
Sirce E. Owen, Appellate Immigration Judge
- 2019-2020: Acting deputy Director of EOIR.
- 2018-2020: Assistant Chief Immigration Judge, based in Atlanta.
- 2016-2018: Deputy chief counsel, Office of Chief Counsel, Office of the Principal Legal Advisor, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security, in Atlanta.
- 2008-2016: Assistant chief counsel, Office of Chief Counsel, Office of the Principal Legal Advisor, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security, in Atlanta.
- 2005-2008: Private practice.
- Obtained Juris Doctor in 2005 from Georgia State University.
Please visit the nyc immigration lawyers
website for further information. The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, PLLC focuses vast segment of its practice on immigration law. This steadfast dedication has resulted in thousands of immigrants throughout the United States.