How Much Can I Expect to Get in a Settlement in Fresno CA
If you’re contemplating a personal injury claim or lawsuit as a result of the carelessness and negligence of somebody else in or around Fresno, it’s inevitable that at one time or another, you’ll be wondering what the value of your case might be. The human body isn’t a mannequin though with price tags hanging off of different parts of it. Unless you have an identical twin, you’re unique, and early on in an injury case, it’s impossible to place a value on it. That’s because the same injury to one person might affect another person differently, even if you have that identical twin. Here are the variables that might make your case different from another person’s case.
The Insurance Company’s Formula
An insurance adjuster is likely to start negotiating a case on the basis of certain multiples of your economic damages. Those damages generally consist of medical bills, lost earnings and any related out-of-pocket expenses. Depending on the insurance company, the opening multiple might be 1.3 to 1.5 the amount of the economic damages. The adjuster who makes that initial offer knows that it isn’t going to be anywhere near satisfactory. That’s because there is no multiplication formula that will place a value on a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
The Value of Your Claim or Lawsuit
Aside from your medical bills, lost earnings and other economic damages, the value of your personal injury case is directly related to the nature and extent of your injuries. Any number of factors might figure into the nature and extent of your injuries. Consider the following questions:
- How long did it take you to recover from your injuries? Have you hit a recovery plateau having reached maximum medical improvement without any chance at getting back to 100%?
- From the time that you were injured, how painful were your injuries. Is there a reasonable degree of medical certainty that you’ll feel pain and discomfort from your accident injuries for life?
- Were one or more surgeries and rehabilitation required? What type of surgery was required?
- Were fractures or dislocations were suffered that a jury can see on x-rays? If surgical hardware was used to repair the fracture or dislocation, will a jury be able to see those too?
- Was there permanent and visible scarring? If so, is there any permanent facial scarring?
- Is there any permanent loss of range of motion or disability?
- Was there a traumatic brain injury, and if so, are the symptoms of the injury permanent?
Contact a Fresno CA Personal Injury Lawyer Today:
Issues like these in personal injury cases are why value formulas just don’t work. Other factors like whether you shared fault for the accident factor into a settlement or verdict too. Indeed, most personal injury cases settle without a trial. Many of them even settle without the necessity of a lawsuit. Each case has its own wrinkles though, so some cases go to a trial and a verdict. Our history here at Maison Law on successful claims, out of court settlements and trials is enviable. After retaining us to represent you for your injuries, our goal will to maximize your settlement or award. Contact our Fresno offices today for a free consultation.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer