Got Arrested or Charged with a Crime - What Now?
then remember these ten rules:
1. Talking to the police cannot and will not help you. They are talking to you because they suspect you have committed a crime.
2. Even if you did it and they tell you it will make you feel better if you get it off your chest, which it may, the punishment may be more than you think it will be.
3. Innocent or guilty a small white lie can be taken out of context and lead them to convict you of a crime.
4. You may guess a detail which may mislead them to think it was you and lead to your conviction.
5. The police will never remember nor record your statement with 100% accuracy and that little bit can make a big difference.
6. Even if you’re innocent, and you only tell the truth, and your entire statement is videotaped so that the police don’t have to rely on their memory, an innocent person can still make some innocent assumption about a fact or state some detail about the case they overheard on the way to the police station, and the police will assume that they only way the suspect could have known that fact or that detail was if he was, in fact, guilty.
Legal Articles Additional Disclaimer